Wednesday, August 29, 2012

I Love Waffles!

I love waffles! They are probably my favorite breakfast item. But since I have been trying to avoid gluten and dairy, waffles have been difficult for me to have until recently. I also didn't have a waffle iron either, which complicated things, but my parents' gave my husband and I one for a wedding gift. I have a cook book that has recipes from my parents' neighbors. There is a recipe in there for basic waffles. I took the recipe and swapped out the flour for gluten free flour, the sugar for coconut sugar, and the milk for almond milk. I left everything else the same. Yummy waffles this recipe made! These waffles are delicious with just about anything. I have tried them with maple syrup, fruit syrup, fresh fruit, homemade jams, almond butter, and nutella! And if you like savory waffles I am sure these would be delicious in a "chicken and waffle" recipe. I have enjoyed all of these various toppings! I think sprinkling some nuts on top would be good to! Below is the recipe. If you are good and swapping in egg replacements, you could easily make these vegan as well.

I like recipes that are easy to swap out the less healthy item for a more healthy alternative. I am not a fan of these healthy recipes that tell you to add in xantham gum, this and that of one item or another. I believe that health conscious recipes taste better when we can keep them as close to the original as possible by swapping out a few ingredients - not all of them. Tonight I will be trying my hand at a taco casserole that will have ground turkey in it instead of beef. I am looking forward to it!

Gluten Free, Dairy Free Waffles

2 1/4 cups gluten free flour of choice
4 tsp. baking powder
3/4 tsp. salt
1 1/2 Tbsp coconut sugar or regular sugar
2 large eggs (if you know how to substitute chia seed or other ingredient for eggs, you could easily swap that in for vegan waffles).
2 1/4 cups dairy free milk of choice
3/4 cup oil of choice

Mix all ingredients together until smooth. Put in pre-heated waffle iron and cook to waffle iron specifications. Eat. Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment