Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Easy Peasy Chili!

This time of year I tend to turn to foods like chili, soup, and really anything that is designed to warm you up! Chili is one of my favorite things to eat and it is a very easy thing to make. This post is more like a recipe post, but I have had people ask me how I make my chili.

I do know how to make chili from "scratch" but why when there are many more easier alternatives out there? There are brands of chili you can buy at the store that are really good and taste almost as good as homemade, but I have discovered a trick from my mother. With a few extra ingredients, you can disguise the store bought chili and make everyone think it is homemade.

So, this is what I do. I buy Stagg brand chili. Stagg brand is, in my humble opinion, one of the best brands of canned chili out there. It has chunks of meat and different kinds of beans and just the right amount of flavoring. I also recommend Nalley chili as well, but I prefer Stagg.

Depending on how many people you plan to serve depends on how many cans you need. I used two cans of Stagg chili for a group of about 12 or so. I put the chili in a crock-pot and then I added a can of diced tomatoes and I did not drain the tomatoes when I put them in so there was a little bit more moisture. I then added a can of drained red kidney beans. I mixed it all together and added some salt, pepper, and some chili powder. I like my chili a little on the spicy side, so I added quite of chili powder. Add the chili powder to your taste. I put the crock pot on low and the let all of the flavors combine and marry! When I served it, everyone thought it was homemade. Nope! It was dressed up, but not homemade.

To make this chili even more tasty, I would serve this along side some corn bread, and have some grated cheddar cheese and onions for mixing into the chili. I didn't add these things when I made it because it was being served along side other good things to eat. You could even do this chili for Navajo tacos, chili-dogs, or really anything that has chili in it. I have posted the "recipe" below.

Easy Peasy Chili:

2 Cans of any brand chili (recommended is Stagg or Nalley brand)
1 Can of red kidney beans, drained
1 Can of diced tomatoes, undrained
Salt, to taste
Pepper, to taste
Chili Powder, to taste

In a crock pot mix all ingredients together. Put on a low for a few hours. Check flavor after about an hour. Add more salt, pepper, and chili powder if needed. Serve immediately.

1 comment:

  1. That is what I do for my cheater-chili too! I extend my pork and beans the same way--by adding an extra few cans of beans and some BBQ sauce. :o) Sounds yummy. I might be adding this to my menu plan this week!

    ReplyDelete