Wednesday, December 1, 2010

I Like Cake! Potato Cake That Is!

So sorry it has been almost a week since my last blog post. I have been battling (yet again) the sinus infection from the unmentionable place. Hopefully I am on the mend this time!

For tonight's dinner I made Potato Cake With Bacon, Sour Cream, Apples, and Kale. This was probably a recipe I was hesitant to try, but I persevered and made it anyway.

The potato cake did not look so cakeish to me, but that could be because I cooked the potatoes in my cast iron casserole dish and not a skillet. I don't have a skillet deep enough for this recipe, so I had to improvise. The potatoes did get cooked all the way through and they had a very nice bacon, salty flavor to them.

I have never really had cooked apples outside of apple pie. These were quite interesting. As they cooked in the pan, the apples released their sugars and so they got all sorts of caramelized. It was pretty good! I would have saved the extras, but I left the bowl with the apples in them on the stove while I had the broiler going and they got all mushy. If you do have left over apples, make sure you take care of the extras right away so you don't end up with mushy apples.

I am not a huge fan of dark leafy greens because I tend to get sick when I eat a lot of them in large quantities, but I still tried the kale. Surprisingly, the kale had a flavor similar to celery or romaine lettuce. I enjoyed it quite a bit. The sour cream was to be served with both the potatoes and kale. I felt like the sour cream took away from the flavors of both, so I preferred to eat the rest of this dish without the sour cream. Of course if you like sour cream, then you will like it in this dish.

Well, that is tonight's critique. Tomorrow I will be hitting the grocery store for ingredients for a new set of recipes. So watch this space for more exciting recipes!

Potato Cake in pan:


Potato cake out of pan:


Potatoes, Apples, and Kale:

1 comment:

  1. I want to come recipe experiment with you one night. I am big on trying new things too and I love to cook.
    I am going to try your chicken tenders with green beans recipe sometime in the next wk and I am really looking forward to it.

    ReplyDelete