Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Lettuce - Versatile Veggie

I am quickly becoming a fan of lettuce and using the leaves for wrapping. A favorite item people tend to like it the lettuce wraps that you can get at places like P.F. Changs and my new favorite place, The Spin Cafe.

Well, for dinner last night I wanted to have something similar. On Sunday I cooked some chicken in the crock pot and then shredded it for meals throughout the week. There should be an earlier blog post from 2010 or early 2011 explaining how to make my crock-pot shredded chicken, so if you want to make it, look it up.

So, I took some of the shredded chicken and added some chicken taco seasoning to it and then I made some black bean salsa (recipe below) and I took the chicken and put some chicken in a lettuce leaf and then I topped it with some black bean salsa and some regular salsa and then some Chipotle flavored Tabasco sauce. I then rolled it up and ate it! Yumness it was!

Tonight I am going to be making some roasted butternut squash and will probably be using the rest of my shredded chicken to supplement it! And so my boyfriend doesn't feel like he is going to starve, I will also be cooking him some whole wheat pasta to go with it as well.

See below for picture of the lettuce wraps and the recipe for the black bean salsa. The black bean salsa is very versatile. I use it for everything! It is good by itself, in soups, as a dip, in the wraps! Everything! And this recipe makes quite a bit, so be prepared for that.

Black Bean Salsa

2 cans of black beans, rinsed and drained
1 can of corn, rinsed and drained
1 can of diced tomatoes, rinsed and drained
1/2 onion
1-2 cloves of garlic
Juice of one lime
Salt and Pepper, to taste

Add all of the ingredients to a medium to large sized bowl and mix together. Add salt and pepper to taste. Serve with chips or other dippers. Refrigerate leftovers.


Black Bean Salsa and Seasoned Chicken Lettuce Wrap:


No comments:

Post a Comment