Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Sweet Potato Topped Chicken

Since I have had to learn how to cook again, I have been scouring for the internet looking for things to cook that fit my dietary requirements and taste good too. I am not a fan of boring food! So, I found this recipe on the Better Homes and Gardens website for Sweet Potato Topped Chicken. This recipe has cream in it, but since I can't have dairy, I had to modify it a little. I didn't buy canned sweet potatoes - I peeled, sliced, and boiled fresh sweet potatoes. I personally think they tasted better. I also didn't add butter to my potatoes. I made the mashed potatoes with my almond milk and some salt and pepper and they were tasty. And I used sweet potatoes, not yams. Yams would be fine, but yams and sweet potatoes are not the same thing. In place of the Cream of Mushroom soup, I used some chicken broth and mixed it with some almond milk and some rice flour just to thicken it up. This tasted really well in the recipe! If you like Cream of whatever soup, that would be fine too!

I assembled the recipe in my enamel coated dutch oven. It made the dish yummier and since the dutch oven is over safe, I was able to put it into the oven in the same pot when I was ready to broil it.

After I had assembled the dish, I turned on the broiler and broiled the dish just to kind of give the potatoes a little bit of a crust so this would feel more like a chicken pot pie only without the crust. I will definitely make this again, but I would probably use more almond milk and rice flour in my cream substitution next time so the mixture is a little thicker. I think I will also use rotisserie style chicken next time too. And if you are a vegetarian or vegan, you could easily omit the chicken and just add more vegetables to the mixture and use vegetable broth instead of chicken broth. I always like dishes that can be switched up!

I didn't take a picture of my attempt at this dish, so you will have to be satisfied with a stock photo. Tonight's recipe is called "Lime in the Coconut" Drumsticks! I am looking forward to it!


Sweet Potato Topped Chicken:

No comments:

Post a Comment