Thursday, November 25, 2010

Cheese Fondue

So I hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving! I sure did! I ate way too much but enjoyed every minute of it!

As I said, I was put in charge of appetizers for Thanksgiving and so I decided to do cheese fondue. I didn't take a picture of it, but I am sure everyone can imagine what melted cheese in a pot looks like. I found this recipe online the other day, but cannot remember the website, so I have posted it below for your convenience.

A couple of years ago I received a fondue pot for Christmas and I LOVE it! This could almost be a product review. I love my fondue pot because it is so versatile. It is good for fondue (DUH!) but it works well as a fryer as well as a way to keep food warm. Today I used it for its intended purpose.

I made a cheddar cheese based fondue. This recipe has beer as the liquid base in it (the alcohol cooks off, but make sure your fondue pot can get hot enough for that or you may have to prepare this on the stove top and then transfer to a fondue pot) and so it made the cheese a little sharper. My favorite part of this recipe was the things I paired with the fondue to dip in it.

I had those Flip-Side crackers -- the ones that are pretzel on one side and cracker on the other. I also had some Italian bread sticks and green apples. I also toasted and diced some french bread. The french bread was probably the biggest hit. I think if I do cheese fondue next time I will just do bread and nothing else. So all in all the fondue was a decent hit!

Happy Thanksgiving! Look for a more regular post from me soon! Next up is a potato cake with fried apples and a kale salad. Hope it is good!


Cheddar Cheese Fondue

1 lb. of sharp cheddar cheese, grated
3/4 cup of beer
1 tbsp. flour
1 1/2 tsp. of dry mustard
Dash of cayenne pepper
1 tsp. of Worcestershire Sauce

In a mixing bowl combine the cheese, flour, mustard, and cayenne pepper. Set aside. Meanwhile, bring the fondue pot to 375 degrees and add the beer and Worcestershire sauce. Bring to a rolling boil. Gradually add the cheese mixture. Stir until cheese is melted and smooth. Lower the temperature on the fondue pot to 200 degrees. Serve with various dippers such as french bread.

No comments:

Post a Comment