Thursday, January 13, 2011

My First Attempt At Steak

Last night I made Flank Steak with Baked Tomatoes Stuffed With Egg. This was my first attempt at cooking a steak on my own and I also got to use my new outdoor grill for this as well! I also invited some girlfriends over for dinner, because this was a dinner that wouldn't have done well as leftovers!

The steak was quite simple to prepare. I cut the fat off of it after it came to room temperature (you should always bring steak to room temperature before cooking as it cooks more evenly), then I put some olive oil and salt and pepper and through it on the grill. When I pulled the meat off the grill, it had only made it to about medium rare -- the recipe called for that. I sliced the steak, then I served some of it to one of my friends as she likes her steak mooing. I turned the broiler on and finished cooking the steak to a medium well. Surprisingly, I enjoyed the steak. It was nice and juicy.

On the side we had a watercress "salad." I use the term lightly because in my opinion salads should have more than one thing in it. Needless to say, the watercress was quite tasty with the lemon and olive oil dressing. It was very light and simple. I just wouldn't have called it a salad.

Also on the side were these tomato baked eggs. Basically what I did was hollow out four tomatoes and then I cooked some onions (the recipe also called for fungus aka mushrooms, but I didn't put them in there) and stuffed the tomatoes with them. I then cracked an egg on top and put them in the oven. I loved this! I didn't think I would, but I really enjoyed it. The egg was poached from the oven and the moisture in the tomatoes. It was quite tasty! I may just make these again for a quick breakfast or light dinner! So last night's venture was enjoyable. I had good food and good company to enjoy it with! Next up is an onion, pepper, and sausage pizza and I can already tell you it is going to be delicious!


Flank Steak, Tomato Baked Eggs, and Watercress "salad":

No comments:

Post a Comment