Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Christmas Weekend - Some Good, Some Bad

I hope everyone had a great Christmas and if you celebrate Kwanzaa and Hanukkah I hope you are still enjoying your holidays! I made it through Christmas better than I thought I would. I was surrounded by a lot of wonderful things to eat and for the most part I did okay.

One of my family's Christmas traditions is to make aebleskivers for breakfast on Christmas. Aebleskivers are little round Danish pancakes and they are usually served with syrup, jam, powdered sugar, or anything else that sounds tasty to dip them in. Well, they are loaded with gluten and dairy and I cannot have gluten or dairy so I was not really happy about possibly missing this breakfast. I made a decision and decided I was going to eat them regardless, but on Christmas Eve morning I decided to get online and see if I could find a recipe for a different version of aebleskivers. Since I can have brown rice and corn, I figured I might be able to find a replacement.

I logged online and did a search for "gluten free, dairy free aebleskivers" and I found a wonderful recipe which uses whole grain gluten free flours and apple cider vinegar and milk alternatives instead of white flour and buttermilk. I printed off the recipe and decided to try them. I went to the health food store I typically shop at and bought some brown rice flour and combined it with my buckwheat flour. You have to mix the flour, milk alternative (I used unsweetened almond milk), and apple cider vinegar together and leave the mixture out to age overnight. You then mix the mixture with some egg yolks, baking powder, baking soda, sweetener, and then add in whipped egg whites and then cook the aebleskivers up in the pan. These aebleskivers turned out fantastic! I had them with a little bit of fruit jam and had some turkey sausage and an egg to eat on the side. I have posted the recipe, a picture, and a link to the original recipe as it isn't my own.

Now for the bad - I did indulge a little. I did have some sugar over the weekend. That is about the only bad thing I ate, but I am definitely feeling the after affects of the sugar. However, I didn't have as much sugar as I usually do over Christmas, so I feel like I was mildly victorious!

Aside from the wonderful food, I have to say I was very spoiled this Christmas! My parents gave me the Rachael Ray pans I have been wanting for the last three years or so! The bulk of my pans I have been using are ones I bought back in college and they were cheap pans anyways, so I am so excited I have new ones to cook with. They also gave a Christmas decoration and a new shirt. My boyfriend spoiled me all over the place. He bought me a gorgeous pink sweater and a purplish blouse from my favorite clothing store, and then bought me a couple of puzzles, and a lot of lotion and some candles. He is wonderful! I love him lots!

So I hope everyone has a great New Year! See the recipe below and if you have the hankering to try it and don't have a pan, you can buy an aebleskiver pan at Bed Bath and Beyond, or any kitchen stores that carry specialty things like that.

Gluten and Dairy Free Aebleskivers
    2 1/2 cups of gluten free whole grain flour ( I used 1 cup of freshly ground amaranth, and 1 1/2 cups of freshly ground millet)
    1 1/2 cups of water or dairy free milk of choice
    2 tablespoons raw apple cider vinegar

1) Mix together the above ingredients and leave out, covered in a warm place for 12 to 24 hours.

    3 eggs, separated
    2 tablespoons sweetener (whole cane sugar, coconut sugar, or maple sugar)
    1/2 teaspoon unrefined salt
    1 teaspoon baking powder
    1 teaspoon baking soda

    2) In a clean bowl whip the egg whites into soft peaks.

    3) Mix together the egg yolks, baking powder and soda, and salt with the flour mixture until well combined. Fold in the egg whites. Cook according to the directions below.
    Directions for Cooking

    Heat a seasoned, cast iron pan over medium heat until a sprinkle of water jumps and sizzles on the pan. Grease with palm shortening, olive oil, coconut oil, or butter, and fill 3/4 full of batter. Allow the bottom to brown and set. Using a toothpick or wooden skewer, turn a quarter turn. It sounds strange, but it’s not hard! Then turn once, or twice more, as it continues to brown . You should be left with a round pancake! Adjust heat as needed as you continue cooking and serve right away, as they will deflate some as they cool.


No comments:

Post a Comment