Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Learning To Cook Again

I have always prided myself in my cooking abilities, and I have always enjoyed cooking, but since I have changed my eating habits and dietary needs I feel like I am eight years old again learning how to cook again.

It hasn't been easy, but it has been an adventure for sure. I am so thankful that there are people in this world that have figured things out and have posted recipes, blogs, tips, and other helpful hints on the internet for me to find. This has helped me in learning how to cook again.

I went grocery shopping last night and I really paid attention to the different kinds of health foods and alternatives there really are. I have to do the bulk of my shopping at a health food store so I can get exactly what I need, but it has been an eye-opener for sure.

And while I have given up a lot of foods that I love I have discovered new foods and new combinations of foods that I love. For example, if I hadn't had to give up dairy, I would have never learned how much I love almond milk. It is so delicious and works as well as cow milk in most of my recipes. And because it has a mild flavor, it doesn't overpower or change the flavor of other foods that call for milk.

Well, that is about it for today. Tonight for dinner I am trying a new recipe. I am making curry-coconut chicken with sweet potatoes, carrots, and collard greens. I whipped up everything last night and it is sitting in my fridge waiting to be cooked in the oven. It had to marinate anyway, so I thought making it last night would cut down the prep work this evening. This way I won't be eating dinner at 8:00PM either. I plan to also cook some quinoa and serve it with the chicken as well.

Hope it goes well. Have a great day everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment