Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Bacon Makes The World Go Round!

I love bacon! I don't eat it all the time but I do enjoy it! I finally had a chance to cook tonight! Tonight I made Penne with Bacon, Butternut Squash, and Spinach. Pasta is one of my favorite things to eat!

Probably the most time consuming part of this dish was the butternut squash but it didn't take me that long to prepare. Last Thanksgiving I made a butternut squash dish and so I learned how to peel the squash. Use a vegetable peeler! You have to run the peeler down the squash a few times, but it gets the peel off safely and pretty quick.

I was concerned that the recipe didn't have enough moisture but it turned out to be enough. The spinach was a nice compliment to this dish as well. It cooked quickly upon adding it to the pasta squash. I am surprised I liked the spinach as much as I did. I am typically not a fan of spinach, but this was tasty!

I should have read the recipe a little closer. I was only supposed to cook the pasta part of the way and then finish cooking it with the squash. Well, I cooked the pasta all the way before adding it to the squash. To compensate I cooked the squash a little longer by itself and then I added the pasta. The pasta was a tad overcooked, but it still tasted good. My favorite part of this dish was the bacon and Parmesan cheese! Yummy! The cheese and bacon brought this dish together.

The recipe says this meal serves four, but I think you could get 6-8 servings out of this if you served this dish with something else. I plan to take this to Thanksgiving tomorrow and serve it along side the turkey. It is a tradition in some Italian families (such as mine) to serve pasta as well as the standard Thanksgiving dishes!

Well, I hope everyone has a Happy Thanksgiving! I am going to be trying a new cheese fondue recipe, so I will blog about that. I possibly won't blog about it tomorrow, but I will be blogging about it for sure! Again have a great holiday and happy shopping on Friday.


The finished pasta:


My serving:

No comments:

Post a Comment