Sunday, November 14, 2010

It Never Looks Like The Picture

Well, I am back after a day off. I Had a great time last night with my mother and my grandmother. We went to the BYU Museum of Art and visited the Carl Block exhibit! Awesome!

For tonight's dinner I made Bean Taquitos With Cucumber Salsa. This was a tasty meal but not a pretty one. My taquitos did not look like the way they do in the picture. The biggest issue I ran into was with the corn tortillas. Maybe I bought the wrong kind, but the kept falling apart in the pan. This is one of the main reasons I prefer flour tortillas when I cook with tortillas. Don't get me wrong, I think corn tortillas are tasty, just messy.

This recipe had a lemony sour cream on the side. I don't typically like sour cream really anyway, but surprisingly I didn't mind it in this recipe. I think in combination with the spicy beans and pepper jack cheese, the sour cream was a nice cool down. The cucumber salsa also helped tone down the acidic taste of the sour cream.

The cucumber salsa was something I was excited to try. I was not disappointed. I have never had cucumber in salsa. It was really good. Most people salt their cucumbers before eating, and so this just kind of took it up another step.

This recipe is definitely good for all kinds of people. Kids would like it because it is very simple and can be picked up with the fingers if need be. Vegetarians would like it because there is no meat in it, but it is definitely full of protein! This would also be good for people with other dietary needs, such as those who with gluten allergies. There is no gluten in this recipe, so it is safe for all.

With the leftovers, I plan to bake the rest of the corn tortillas and make some healthy nachos with the rest of the beans and cucumber salsa and pepper jack cheese. They will be delicious!


My not so pretty Bean Taquitos:

No comments:

Post a Comment