Friday, November 12, 2010

Excuse Me, Sir, There Is A Fish In My Soup

So tonight's menu was a Salmon and Leek Chowder. I am not sure how I feel about this one.

As I stated earlier today, I don't typically like fish in things, with maybe the exception of tuna fish sandwiches. But this didn't deter me from trying this recipe. The recipe was quite simple in terms of preparation and very quick soup. Most soups take all day to cook, but this one took less than a half hour to cook.

The broth and the vegetables were quite flavorful in this recipe. I tried a new vegetable in this recipe. I tried leeks for this first time. For those of you that don't know what a leek is, it is basically a giant green onion. The leeks taste a lot like green onions and the smell like onions too. And just like onions, they got sweeter as they cooked.

The potatoes were good too. If you make this recipe, it is essential the potatoes be sliced very thinly or they will not cook in less than a half hour.

Now onto the fish -- not my favorite part. It had nothing to do with the fish itself. As the daughter of an avid fisherman, I essentially grew up on fish. The salmon itself was very good and very flavorful, but its texture did not match with the rest of the elements of the soup. I feel if I were to do this recipe again and were to use the salmon, I would serve the salmon on the side instead of putting it in the soup. The soup can definitely hold its own without the fish, so to anyone who is a vegetarian that might be reading this, this is a great soup for you!

On the side the recipe called for baguette slices toasted and rubbed with olive oil. If I hadn't forgotten the bread, the bread would have been great. The bread is toasted by broiling it and I put the bread in the oven and did not babysit it, so it burnt a little. . .but it tasted alright so long as I dipped it in the soup.

Please, don't misunderstand me this recipe would be good for anyone who likes fish in things, and I would imagine without the fish, I would have loved the soup!

So, tonight's meal wasn't as good as I had hoped but I am glad I learned how to cook with leeks. All I have to do now is figure out what to do with a put full of soup.

Salmon and Leek Chowder:



I would like to mention there will be no recipe for tomorrow evening. I am going to be taking my mother out for her birthday! More recipes to come Sunday or Monday.

4 comments:

  1. Sounds disgusting. :oP LOL. You know how we feel about salmon in this house. :o) Love the blog, keep up the good work. P.S. Where you taking mom?

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are going to Carl Bloch art exhibit at the BYU Museum of Art.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have cute dishes, plates, and bowls :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I figured out what to do with the soup! I took it to a friend's house the next day and it was a big hit!

    ReplyDelete