Thursday, November 11, 2010

Meat On A Stick! Does it Get Much Better?

After much deliberation and thought I have finally decided what I am going to blog on for the time being. I don't have a husband and I don't have kids, so I can't really blog about my family. And my personal life isn't usually that exciting enough to blog about -- at least in my opinion. I have decided to start a food blog. Now, this is not a recipe blog -- there are enough of those. This is a blog about my personal experience with trying a new recipe and then eating it and what my thoughts are on it.

I have been in food rut as of late, and so I decided to try some new recipes. Last night I went to the grocery store and bought ingredients for seven recipes I decided to try. All of these recipes come from November 2010's "Everyday With Rachael Ray." So, these are not my own recipes, but these are my own attempts at them.

My first recipe I tried is called Beef Kebabs With Roasted Green Beans and Almonds. This recipe is basically meatballs on sticks, but it is tasty! This is a good recipe for kids. The green beans in this recipe are fresh, so they have to be prepped by breaking off the ends. This would be a good chore for kids, because it will allow them to learn how to prep a food they may only be familiar with in canned form. Fresh green beans are much tastier than canned! These green beans are very tasty too because of the almonds. The almonds are all nice and toasty and give a little extra crunch to the green beans! Yumness! I think kids would also like this recipe because meat tastes better on a stick, and it is very kid friendly that way. Easy to eat! There is fresh parsley in this recipe as well, but dried parsley could easily be substituted. The recipe calls for finely chopped garlic. Chopping garlic, in my opinion, takes a day and a half, so I recommend pressing the garlic. I also think pressing the garlic brings out the flavor more as well.

I had to change a few things. First of all, I don't have a grill -- indoor or out, so I had to use a skillet. Even with my biggest skillet, my skewers were still too long for the pan, so I cut them in half. Works well. If you do use a skillet, make sure you use a little olive oil so the meat doesn't stick.

The recipe called for squeezing lemon juice on the kebabs after they were cooked and a little on the green beans. I tried it both ways. I personally liked everything better without the lemon juice, but if you are one that likes things a little tart, this is a nice addition.

The nice thing about this recipe is that it has provided me three meals. The dinner I just ate, lunch for tomorrow, and a future dinner (Green beans and beef freeze well and thaw well.) This recipe technically serves four, but if you are one person (like me) or just a couple, I would still make the full recipe so you do have leftovers.

So this is my first culinary adventure! Here's to many more culinary adventures!

Green Beans:



Beef Kebabs:


1 comment:

  1. So, I would have to say this was pretty good for lunch today! And this was a very healthy option compared to what I usually eat for lunch. And really having the meat on the stick just made it that more tempting for me! I like fun food and meat on a stick is definitely fun to eat!

    ReplyDelete