Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Mmm. . . .Grasshoppers. . .

So, I got your attention, huh? Let me explain. Last night I made and had Shrimp and Rice Bake. Shrimp is like my most favorite food ever, so I was definitely excited to try this dish and also have menial success with cooking rice. My father does not like shrimp and every time I have shrimp for dinner when we go out or I cook it on his grill he always asks me, "How are the grasshoppers?" So, this is why I have titled this post what I have.

This dish was a one pot wonder! My parents got me this enamel coated dutch oven (it looks like a casserole dish, but it is really a dutch over) and this pot worked wonders for this meal. I put the dutch oven on the stop and cooked the bacon and then basically threw in all of the other ingredients on top of that and went from there! This recipe also had rice in it and I was a little hesitant to do rice again after Monday's fiasco, but hey, it turned out! This dish also looked very pretty in the pan!

The only thing I would do different next time is prep the shrimp sooner or put the shrimp in the fridge to thaw! It took me awhile to clean my grasshoppers. There isn't a particular kind of shrimp I recommend. I do recommend that you get whatever is cheapest at the store and make sure you get already deveined shrimp as it makes it easier to peel and clean. Deveining shrimp is not the funnest thing to do, so paying an extra dollar or two for shrimp that has already been deveined is well worth the extra cost!

I liked all of the flavors in this dish. There was zucchini, onions, and tomatos in this dish in addition to the rice, bacon, and shrimp! The recipe also had a little paprika in it which gave it this nice smoky, cajuny flavor! I have a lot of leftovers and I am thinking this will be great in a pita pocket or even mixed with some cheese for a fajita of sorts!

There will be no blog posts on recipes for the next couple of days as I will be off playing and do other wonderful things. I do plan, however, to blog about something. I have decided to add a product review section on here where I will rave about my favorite kitchen gadgets! Have a great rest of the week and remember if you have any ideas on how to make the blog better or on what to try next, let me know!

Shrimp And Rice Bake:

1 comment:

  1. Oh my gosh....that looks and sounds divine! Will you please post or email me the recipe? My family would love this!

    ReplyDelete